Friday, June 03, 2005

wisteria vine


wisteria vine flowering

Sadly, in every garden, there are those plants that want special attention and what is surprising is that sometimes that special attention is to shock or brutalize them somewhat. Our Wisteria Vine above has the most magnificent cascading waterfall of colour when it comes into bloom this time of spring.
The last two years it has failed to flower for us. I know it is because it gets so much attention growing next to my principle garden and thus within the reach of the sprinkler. It’s just too happy and needs a jolt. That means work, as you have to root prune the plant, which in our case means root pruning a tree, as this Wisteria is very large. So I’ll spade out a trench inside the drip line, then using a deeper reaching shovel, cut a complete circle around the plant severing the roots. This will shock the plant and it will want to reproduce producing flowers next year. It’s a lot of work.


wisteria vine cascading a waterfall of colour

But then look at the above detail of our Wisteria blooming and tell me is it worth the effort? Nature needs to be nurtured sometimes and when done properly it produces some startling results. I try to think of the work similar to my Bonsai trees needing root pruning but on a grander scale with the same wonderful results when you sit back and enjoy them. I want to be a good steward of the gifts creation has bestowed me with tending like our garden, our trees, and then outwards from there to forests and our environment. I start at home and then take small steps outwards, hoping that they can and will have a positive and enduring effect. I know the Creator wants it this way and I am willing to be the steward. What a privelege it is to tend this garden in all it's beauty and hard work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home