Wednesday, June 01, 2005

columbine

Here are just some of the Columbines that grow in our garden. What a delicate, almost fragile flower it is. Columbines are glorious in form and striking with diverse colours; an amazing plant. I only regret in my contaminated mind that when I hear Columbine, my mind conjures up Columbine high school in Littleton, Colorado and the massacre which occurred there. Truly the images I will show you next are what Columbines should always awake in our thoughts, sweet tender beauty. In Good versus Evil, Good will always prevail.So now some Columbines from our garden.

This flower can be paper-thin and its petals are transparent allowing light to pass through them. They make for interesting studies when backlit by the sun as seen in the above photo. I’m very happy with this image, both as composition and as a study of light. Columbines are such a thing of beauty.

I thought I’d share my photography method for documenting flowers with you. First, I compose the image and take a photo or two. The above is one of these and is wonderful just as it is, although it does not convey the details of the flower well it is artistic.

Then I take another shot of the same image but this time I “flash fill” the subject. In other words, I simply force the flash to work and provide the light I need to document the subject matter as seen in the above photo. This too is a great image and conveys the anatomy of the flower. Both images were shot with in seconds of each other as the clouds convey; both have their own separate charm.
I love the sharpness that the flash creates and how the camera “stops down” to give more colour in the sky. What I love most is the subject matter and that’s what makes for good art: knowing it, understanding it and loving it. This white Columbine is simply exhilarating with its cool white petals against the tall cumulus clouds in the background. I know that they’re no longer rare or stricken to Alpine Meadows like Lupine but I still enjoy them nevertheless.
__________________________

These are some of the yellow Columbines from out garden. I just marvel at the complexity of these dainty blooms. This image was taken in low light so that the subtle yellows could receive better saturation on the image plane. As these grow in the shade these plants are long and leggy making for an almost oriental presentation. We’re waiting for pink and purple Columbines to come into blossom soon. I love these tender delicate flowers they’re just stunning.

What’s not to love about the Columbine? May God have mercy on the survivors and show his grace to the victim’s families. Help me also to think of Columbine for what it is, such a delicate handwork of creation.

GP

1 Comments:

Blogger Gerard Pas said...

Yes, it sucks when words like Columbine get captured like that. Maybe we should rename it by it's genus Aquilegia. You know maybe in the end it's good we connect them if it helps us remember to teach our children love and respect for life and others. We use Daffodils to represent Cancer Research yet the word Daf. doesn't traumatize me.

I like the prayer, I need to pray it for my children more often.

Somedays it's hard to find beautiful but I've started to force myself to look and in so doing finding beauty soothes me.

Thanks candycane.

10:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home