Saturday, May 14, 2005

trees I know personally


A 360-degree composite photo of the tree line from my backyard.

These are some of the trees that I have the privilege of knowing personally. I have watched them and cared for them for the last twenty years. I have seen them all grow and tried to enhance their lives. They are the trees from my backyard.
These trees have watched my children come into life and grow playing underneath them. They have cooled us in the heat of summer. They have marveled us with falls glory in changing colours. They have calmed us in winter’s serenity and spoken of that same season’s fury. They have given us hope in spring as they do now. They are part of my family

I stood in my yard and took these images in a 360-degree rotation focusing on the top of the tree line. The top right photos is north, the cold white sunset is west (left), and the trees illuminated by springs cool setting sun are east (right).

I just thought that after my diatribe on trees you should at least see how many big trees I have surrounding the perimeter of my land. You see I love trees. In the days to come, I will show the magical tree in the centre of my neighbourhood, a grand 30-metre Black Walnut; it is where the fairies and the pixies play.

I live in the Forest City with Purpose and it has much to do with the Forest.

When is art, art? Some people think that good art is art that sells. Is it? That equation makes my art worthless, as I have not sold much in my life of work as an artist. The funny thing is, when I have compromised my work for sales, even through necessity, it has failed to sell also. I always thought of that as a message from the God of Love, telling me not to compromise myself. Maybe I have been mistaken and I am but a fool. I have tried to say to my constituency that pain has meaning. That the sufferings of life have inexorable meaning, as they create in us the very things that make us human, in the condition of our frailty and temporality. In my short life I have made masterpieces but there in did I find my value? No, it was in the fact that that God of love created me so that I might enjoy him and discover his creativity forever. There in lays my meaning.

If art were measured by success, integrity, or sales, which would be the truth of good art? It has always been simple to me and that is that good art is the art of integrity to each individual artist. The problem is that bills need to be paid and debits repaid and I have not been able to repay these with integrity.

In terms of financial burdens, I cannot liberate myself through my art, or my loved ones as a result there of. I am caught in the fulcrum of a spinning mandala from which I cannot escape. My need to create and to sustain my artwork. My desire to provide for my family, my loved ones. My wish to find peace in the turmoil of not being able to succeed at all these objectives and happy to find success in only one at a time. Sometimes it’s like a swastika mandala and very oppressive.

I’m feeling rather melancholic today almost depressed! Damn swastika mandala.
Help, I'm being oppressed!

1 Comments:

Blogger Gerard Pas said...

Kudos’ to you on your very wise decision.

You know I wouldn’t even care if it were a dump, but if I had the choice I’d pick a dump with trees before the alternative. You can always fix a dump but hundred or fifty year old trees are very hard to come buy.

Your right, I must work on the city also, as when they prune our big front trees they completely hack them up, they’re such philistines.

GP

4:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home