Tuesday, May 03, 2005

I have this thing for spirals


Lilies of the Valley along the side of my house.
They will soon come into bloom.

I have this thing for spirals. I look for them everywhere and when I see them in the sky, the earth, fire and water, all of nature, they bring a subtle smile to my disposition. Be it in the crown of a head of hair, the dance of the whirling Dervishes, a stately column, the wonder of space, in the math of Fibonacci, or in the turn of a plant or flower like above, they always catch my eye. I’m even enthralled by Einstein’s theory of entropy because of the spiral form it takes in space when considering the effect of a vortex. I am titillated (yes titillated) by the Minotaur’s Labyrinth and the Cretan notion of a uni-cursal maze: you can get lost in it even though it goes in only two directions, in or out. It is as though they saw it as a state of mind, rather than the right-angled topiary maze of modern times. Spirals are my comfort eye candy; I can spin in and out of them forever.
I really have this thing for spirals. I draw them all the time. My idea of doodling is drawing a perfect spiral, as drawing perfect circles is more like work.

I worry too much as if I was someone caught in a uni-cursal spiral maze. Mostly I worry about money and not having any of it. It sucks big time being an artist some days. I don’t want to die destitute like Rembrandt or Mozart, or the millions of other artists throughout time. It’s feast or famine and sadly the feasts are fewer than the famine. I worry too much because of all the dynamics of being in a marriage with university aged children or soon to be. I just worry, worry, worry… inwards and outwards, in this uni-cursal maze.

I wish that I could commit the verses below to my rote memory.

26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'

Matthew 6:26-31 (NIV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home