Wednesday, May 04, 2005

You'll never walk alone


Liverpool fans celebrate their teams' victory over Chelsea
in the UEFA Champions League semi-final
Liverpool 1 - 0 Chelsea at Anfield Stadium last night 05-03-05.

Well it went to sleep with my toothless smile and woke up still wearing a grin after Liverpool dispatched of Chelsea from the EUFA Champions League Cup last night, at Anfield in Liverpool.

I’m a dyed in the wool Arsenal Fan (Gooner) but last night I never could have been a bigger Liverpool fan, as the Pool clinched a difficult game to remove Chelsea from the Champions League. I sat at the edge of my seat most of the second half singing along with the Pool fans hoping they could hold off their small lead to victory, which they did. When the game was over, I jumped from my seat as though my beloved Arsenal had just won the game. Thank you Liverpool for allowing me that short glimpse into the love of your team, a love I know myself first for Arsenal, then the Dutch National Side and Ajax Amsterdam. Liverpool was just great and their fans are second to none in England.

I don’t want gloat but I’ve been waiting most of this soccer season for someone to wipe that pompous grin off Jose Mourniho’s smug little GQ face. In so doing, I’m sure the Pool put a smile on many soccer fans faces throughout England and beyond. Kudos’ to the Pool for fighting the brave fight.
I harbor no resentment to the Chelsea squad as this season they’ve played well and for the most part cleanly. In Chelsea’s win of the English Premier League (EPL), I congratulate them, they deserved it. However, this game and Liverpool cutting them down a notch, humbling the arrogant Chelsea Administration was a gift; one not wasted on me. It goes to show that money can’t buy you everything, as Chelsea has seemed to think this entire season. Soccer can be such a cruel sport! Big boys don’t cry… although there were ample tears shed last night at Anfield, both of joy and disappointment as the pictures below convey.

The first thing I did was call my brother-in-law Henry (not Thierry), as I was feeling rather jiggy. He’s a big Pool fan along with other members of his family, dispersed in the Irish diasporas, around this world. We had one of those soccer male bonding things, but it’s hard to slap his arse through the telephone.

Therefore, I lifted a glass in toast of Liverpool last night, singing “You’ll never walk alone…” That is you’ll never walk alone until this coming Sunday when you play Arsenal and we drub you 4 – 0. :}~

Below are some more images from the game which I lifted from Getty Images – please don’t sue me, I’m just an artist and I’m not making any money posting them here and I have credited you.

Enjoy, I know I did.


Soccer what a sport - it truly is the beautiful game.


Big boys don't cry! It's okay, I cry all the time.

Please click on the images to enlarge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home