Friday, December 16, 2005

i will always choose life

downtown London looking east from
the East Branch Fork of the Thames River

London usually gets about 51 cm. of snow in the month of December. It is only two weeks into the month and we’ve already received 47 cm. It has snowed almost everyday this month. I’ve shoveled a shite load of snow out of our driveway. We have long icicles hanging on almost every house on this dead end that I live on.

I like living on a dead end, if not for the apparent reasons such as very little traffic, for the power of using it as a metaphor. I live on a dead end and it is a dead end. “No Exits” are oxymoron’s, so while our dead end has a “No Exit” sign placed at its entrance there of course is an exit, being the same entrance which ones comes in on. I therefore could not live on a “No Exit” street; rather it is simply a dead end.

Now this dead end runs into a large recreational park, which has tennis courts, basketball hoops, soccer fields a fully enclosed and all year permanent ice rinks. So in fact, our dead end runs into a living beginning, which in a poetic sense makes sense for me -- dead end—living start. I like living on the edge.

I continually look for where the road really dies and haven’t found it yet but I see, hear, and smell the living start every day. I will always choose life but love living on a dead end. There are times that I feel living on this dead end, that there is no exist, which I call my Jean Paul Sartre times. Then I remind myself I’m living on a dead end and not yet dying on one. The again maybe I am and or will die on a dead end which will indeed be the end as I will be dead.
However, I will always choose life.

this image is by Steve Jenereaux

GP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home