Tuesday, November 29, 2005

father - dad - son | abutilon hybridum

My dad asked me to take these abutilon x hybridum flowers into my studio so that they might survive the harshness of winter outside. Of course, I agreed - I would say yes to most of the things that my old man asks of me for as he doesn’t ask for much. Funny really, because here I am at fifty and I still need my pa to help me with questions of gardening, plants and much more. I consider myself fortunate to have his expertise at my side. You know for years he stood before me, then beside me and now my dear old dad stands behind me.
I’m blessed to know this of my father because my dad’s father, my namesake, died when my dad was just a mere boy of 13.

He gifted me this beautiful Flowering Maple (abutilon hybridum) and it sits in my studio just now looking somewhat shocked by the change. Dad’s can do that to you too. My old man never had a role model as a father during his teen years and it showed during my teen years. I’m not going to list pop’s sins here, as they’re probably not unlike your father’s sins. He’s hurt me as I’ve hurt my son.
The one thing that binds us together is not just blood but unequivocally unconditional love. I love my dad with all his faults, as I know he loves me with mine. So should a son love his father and a father a son.

flowering maple - abutilon x hybridum

How much more does our heavenly Father love us and He is faultless.

I’ve been pissed at God to, or at least I thought it was God that I was angry with. In hindsight, maybe it was not God but my notion of fairness of which I blamed Him.

Life is unfair and the unfairness is distributed unfairly!!
Life is fair and the fairness is distributed unfairly!!
Why pain and why me.
Shit happens but why does it always happen to me.

Like my dad, God always came to me when I cried for help. In fact I can say today that where it not for God, my life would have been terribly different. He has always been my Island, the rescue from my own stupidity and from circumstance.
God has never allowed me to take the role of victim because there has always been means for me to leave that place.

God’s love for me has never waned, grown tired and long after I’ve thrown in the towel He is there, even in the darkness. Though the light has shone in the darkness, the darkness has not understood it.

I know now that I really have no cause to complain, because my Father has always loved me unconditionally and it has always been me who has attempted to set the terms.Bless me Father… Give me your strength!

abutilon hybridum - flowering maple

Thank you for grace and for always being there for my dad, my son, and me.

GP

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you serious?

12:30 p.m.  
Blogger Gerard Pas said...

never been more serious

11:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home