Thursday, October 20, 2005

the grasses of the field

We had our first frost last night. It wasn’t a killing frost but the roofs of our homes were covered with a fine white frost by around 2:00 am this morning. The car windows needed to be scrapped if you woke up early, I didn’t, but I saw it before sleep. I am happy to see the seasons change; it’s a complete cycle of life.

I see this seasonal change in the grasses that we grow in our gardens. We grow several varieties of ornamental grasses - I’m very fond of grass :) I also like grasses because they conjure up in me the words of Moses’ prayer or Psalm 90. When I think on Moses word's, I am reminded of the ephemeral nature of life itself compared to the age of the cosmos and even in our smallness, there is love - discussed in my post below

Chasmanthium Latifoilum - ornamental grass
on a warm fall day in september



Psalm 90 v. 2-6, 14-17 “Moses’ prayer.”

2 Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the earth and the world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
3 You turn men back to dust, saying,
"Return to dust, O sons of men."
4 For a thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch in the night.
5 You sweep people away in the sleep of death;
they are like the new grass of the morning-
6 though in the morning it springs up new,
by evening it is dry and withered.

14 Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love,
that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
15 Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us,
for as many years as we have seen trouble.
16 May your deeds be shown to your servants,
your splendor to their children.
17 May the beauty [b] of the Lord our God rest upon us;
establish the work of our hands for us— yes,
establish the work of our hands.



Chasmanthium Latifoilumin
in the cool short evening light of october

Just some of the grasses from the field and our gardens.

GP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home