Monday, October 03, 2005

feeling blue on a monday

I’m feeling rather “blue” today. A bad day, a Monday.
I hate shopping at a “big box “store when you need help and there’s none to be found for a hundred aisles. When you do find someone, they tell you it’s at the complete opposite end of the store, in an area were you would have never gone only because the aisle description is almost antithetical to what your looking for. Like looking for dairy in the meat section of the supermarket, it’s just not kosher. Sure, one could say dairy comes from a cow thus an association, but why would anyone look for screws in a plumbing section even if they were both made of metal.
The only good thing to do at a “big box” store is window shop; if you’re in a hurry forget it. Hate them.

I’ve started on the annual process of preparing the house for the forth-coming brutality of ice, wind, and snow. A few of the windows in the house need to be modernized in terms of insulation. When the house was built they we’re not as fussy about insulation. With the current prices of fossil fuels, we have to be to keep the house, snuggly warm for all the little dwarfs and gnomes that live in our rafters and crawl spaces throughout the freezing time. You know that clear sparkling night when the house has a ½ metre of snow on it, with icicles cascading from the edge of the roof as the north wind takes relent from its fierce blowing. Beautiful yes, but bitterly cold, so cold that bricks of the chimney crack.

Fortunately, we’re not there yet. I worked without my shirt in the sun but as I worked, I looked all around and saw all the signs that the fullness of autumn is soon to unfold. So I’m feeling blue – saddened.

my Asters slowly fade away with fall

as do my Daisies

The last of my Asters are slowly withering away, as well as my Daisies. The Sedums have begun to change colour, some of which I’ll show you in the days to come. The tops of distant Maple Trees have started to change colour, not a sudden change to the brilliant colours after a killing frost. Just a natural change of colour with the loss of a leafs chloroform, that happens at this time of year. The sun is hot but the mornings are damp and cool with dew thickly coating everything. While the windows are open tonight, we’ve had to shut them a few times already because of the chill in the air.

I’m feeling blue and on a Monday. Sounds like a song?

GP

5 Comments:

Blogger Jean Vengua said...

No, I don't know that feeling of snow and icicles and brilliant cold sun -- I live in California, where a dribble of little dry brown leaves tells me maybe it's autumn.

A "real" winter with icicles sounds great, but I understand that there's a downside.

Nevertheless, even with the sun shining outside, blue skies, and the tourists all gone home -- I'm inexplicably blue, too.

2:26 p.m.  
Blogger Jean Vengua said...

P.S. I enjoy yr blog, and have linked to it at http://okir.blogspot.com/

2:27 p.m.  
Blogger Gerard Pas said...

It's kinda funny that it doesn't matter where we are when that blue feeling overcomes us.
___________________________
Thanks for the link I'll be sure to check out your page.

11:06 p.m.  
Blogger Gerard Pas said...

I like your blog a lot - it's thoughtful and provocative. I'll try to link to it as soon as I can.

11:09 p.m.  
Blogger Jean Vengua said...

hey, thanks!

12:12 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home