Thursday, April 14, 2005

It was a cool clarion blue sky today

I worked very hard all day raking the gardens of the Monastery today, so I am very tired. I’m also a little spent from all the writing of yesterday, so I’m at loss for words today.
Today, I can only offer you these little gems from my own garden. They came into or will bloom in the next days. What a privilege it is to watch these plants grow and extol their simple beauty. It was a cool clarion blue sky today and the light was so intensely bright, so bright that I waited until the the sun was low in the sky, just before sunset, to take these images below. Enjoy!

Narcissus (Daffodil): is remembered for having fallen in love with himself. Concerning the flower in which they say that the young man Narcissus turned into, it already existed at the time when Hades abducted Persephone, and became "a snare for the bloom-like girl". For it was while she, attracted by the sweet scent of the narcissus, gathered flowers over a meadow, that the earth opened and Hades sprang out upon her with his immortal horses, and took her with him to be the queen of the Underworld.

Hyacinth: The word hyacinth comes from the Greek Hyakinthos, a handsome young man who in Greek mythology was loved by the sun god Apollo. One day they were practising throwing the discus but the jealous god of the West Wind, who was also in love with Hyakinthos, blew the discus back and it fatally wounded him. From his blood grew a flower, which the god Apollo named after him.

I cannot remember the name of this tiny delicate bulb flower.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gerard Pas said...

I wrote the above post to explain. Thanks for asking

11:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home