Friday, April 08, 2005

London's Fork of the Thames


Fork of the Thames, by Gerard Pas, 1983. watercolour on paper, 40 X 46 cm.

First things first, I pre-posted this and the last post as I’m hard at work in the gardens of the Monastery of “The Precious Blood Sisters” and haven’t much time just now. Enjoy!

As my first post was about the comparisons or lack there of between the London’, the real one in the UK and the other one in Canada (please read the post below for more details), I thought that it would be good to introduce you to a watercolour painting which I did in 1983. I had just returned to London Canada after living in Amsterdam and had changed both my life and work radically (please visit my website to read more about these changes).
One of the first paintings I did after my return was this painting of London. It shows the Thames River in the foreground, looking east to the downtown, and the Forks of the Thames River. I wanted to capture the image that has always stayed in my mind of this city no matter where I am in the world. I based the work loosely on Vermeer’s paintings of Delft and the works of nationally known local London artist Jack Chambers. This is how I saw London in 1983 and although much has changed with the skyline, the Forks of the Thames remain the same. I haven’t much time to talk about all I was trying to say with this work except that I wanted to convey that beauty is in perception.
For me this is the postcard of London as it truly conveys this city, both in its dense forest and its urban nature. I made the painting in the early spring just as the trees sprouted their buds and just before they turned to leafs, just around this time of the year.
I hope you like this painting of which I am very proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home